Tuesday 31 December 2019

Looking back and forward

New Year's Eve and a time to reflect on the year and to look forward to 2020. This year has seen some changes for me which will continue into next year. Less craft fairs, less magazine commissions and more time to make what I want to make. I started cardmaking classes and they have been very popular so will be continuing with those in 2020. I rediscovered my love of cross stitching and discovered perforated paper allowing me to combine small cross stitched images with papercrafting to make cards. I also plan to make more cross stitch pictures to sell.

I have had my best year to date selling at Prima Rose, the local vintage tearooms/gift shop. In fact I have been the second biggest seller this year, the owner being the first. Some things like the tooth fairy pillows which I started making at her request have been very successful. One lady bought 5 just before Christmas!

There is a distinct change in social media this year. Many of my blogging friends have either given up blogging or blog but no longer visit or comment. I appreciate how much time it takes to comment and would like to thank everyone who takes time to visit my blog especially those who leave comments. I visit as often as I can but could do more so will try harder to find more time for that next year. Other platforms have taken over for some people ie Facebook and Instagram. I always put all my makes on Facebook in various appropriate groups and Pinterest but I don't do Instagram. I just don't have time for another platform and some of my blogging friends don't do Facebook so I need and want to keep on blogging.

Another change this year has been that I no longer feel the need to blog every day but blog whenever I have something new to share. I still love to craft but with doing less craft fairs I spend a bit less time in the craft room. I have so many other hobbies, including my new hobby of line dancing classes which we started this year, and like to have time for them all. One of the things I like about sewing is that I can sew whilst watching some TV programmes unless they demand my full attention.

I started the year well with scrapbooking but haven't done any for ages so I need to start doing more of that again as I have lots of photos to make layouts for. I also plan to keep making Christmas cards all year as I love to send people cards I have taken time over. I have no interest in making quick cards at the end of the year or batch making for speed. I also need to use more of my older stamps.

I look forward to another year designing for Lili of the Valley and my new adventure designing for Trimcraft. Who knows where else my crafting journey will take me.

Happy New Year and keep on blogging x.

23 comments:

Glennis F said...

A very Happy New Year to you as well Marianne. I, for one, always enjoy reading about what you have been doing

meg said...

Best Wishes for the New Year I hope 2020 is a successful year for you

Loraine Long said...

Wishing you and your family good wishes for the New Year ahead and for taking the time to share your makes and adventures.

Kath said...

A Happy New Year to you too Marianne - I hope 2020 is a good year for you and your family.

Kath x

Stamps and Paper said...

HI Marianne....I know exactly how you feel, I don't blog as much now because of other hobbies..patchwork, knitting etc...Blogland has definately changed over this past year and like you I blog when I have something new to share.
Wishing you a Very Happy New year

Anne

Hazel (Didos) said...

Wishing you and yors a lovely 2020, looking forward to seeing your makes for the year, they are always inspiring. I only do blogging now with no other social media. Sending Love Hazelxx

Jackie T said...

Happy New Year to you. I hope it is a good one. Take care. Hugs Jackie

Linda Simpson said...

Hi Marianne, I too have reduced the days of blogging and found that not many people comment on my blog either. I will still keep on blogging as it is a good record to keep of what I have created. Looking forward to seeing your creations in 2020. Happy New Year to you both.
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lorraine said...

Happy New Year to you both. I hope you have a fantastic 2020.
Lorraine x

cuilliesocks said...

A great read Marianne, and interesting thoughts regarding social media. I'm so pleased you are continuing to blog as I no longer do Facebook. Gave it up ages ago and I've no family that I need to communicate with in that way. So it's just blogging.
You've had a varied year and a successful one, I hope it continues in 2020. You have such a wonderful talent you deserve the success. Happy New Year to you and Graham, Kate x x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

I'm not on social media and love watching your works on blogland, so thanks for being here. :)
Happy New Year to you and family!

Deborah Anderson said...

I personally love seeing and reading about your creations. Visiting crafty blogs has certainly helped me over a very difficult 18 months, but I'm guilty of not commenting regularly - something I aim to correct in 2020! You have also inspired me to take up cross stitching again and I've just purchased a couple of patterns in the LOTV sale. Wishing you all the best for the New Year and look forward to seeing your creations in 2020.

Marlies said...

Happy New Year Marianne. Marlies x

Mrs A. said...

Hello Marianne, read with interest and agree with all you have said. I don’t do anything other than blogging and will continue to do so. I love the interaction that we can get and the friends we make from it. I felt myself in a rut last year and started going out to craft classes which I have enjoyed immensely. (Bank balance groaned but hey you can’t take it with you.) New for this year is to go to a doll making class. I used to make them years ago and feel the need to get stitching again. Also the summerhouse has been a boon. Sat in there now as the sun is shinning and it is lovely and warm. Here’s hoping you have a very Happy And Crafty New Year. Hugs Mrs A. 🦋

cotnob said...

Glad to hear that you are still going to blog, wishing you a happy, healthy and crafty New Year.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

The Craft Bucket said...

Wishing you a very Crafty New Year love Jane x

Liz said...

Happy New Year, Marianne. Looking forward to seeing many more of your lovely creations in 2020. xx

MiamiKel said...

I love all of your new years goals and it sounds like you have it well planned out! I read your blog often (can't always comment since I read from my iphone, which is blogger blocked! :( YAY on the tooth fairy pillow sales, that's super cute! Here's to the new year!

Poppyfield Card Crafts said...

Happy new year Marianne

A great read and a delightful Christmas card. I'm with you in starting this year's Christmas cards

June :)

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I'm glad you are staying and blogging, I much prefer it to FB. Great to continue to do other things too.
Happy New Year.
Faith x

Fikreta said...

Happy New Year!

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Wishing you a very happy and colourful 2020 x

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

A great read Marianne. I too struggle with getting to friends blogs as I once did. But I do so love to when I can and try to as often as possible. I find my blog still the best and nicest way to 'catalogue' my crafty journey. I love visiting your blog and have been in awe of all you do! I hope you enjoy a slightly more restful pace with your creating and how lovely to have found the perforated paper to combine two loves! Sending New Year hugs. Wishing you and Graham a truly wonderful 2020, Wends xoxo