Saturday 7 November 2015

New stash and some thoughts on the NEC show


Thought you would like to see what I bought and hear my thoughts on the NEC show. First the essentials, the more exciting purchases are below. Lots of card blanks, card stock, magnetic folder and sheets , the wonderful Stick It, Stickles, tape and glue.


A new daylight lamp as mine no longer tips where I want it. The new one was a bargain and much better I think. Papers, embossing folders, LOTV art pad, pen pots to paint and decorate and a couple of reindeer decorations to sew. I don't sew much these days but thought these might be fun.


My favourites, dies and stamps. So pleased with these. Reorganised my die storage yesterday to accommodate them all.


Lots of lovely ribbons, lace and embellishments.

So my thoughts on the show which I have voiced on Facebook. Lynsey and I had a lovely time and I am so pleased with the things I bought but....... the organisers have got too greedy in my opinion. I was lucky to win two tickets but otherwise the tickets are £12.50 though you can save £2 by buying in advance. The car park is £12 and the refreshments were ridiculously expensive. Some companies like Oyster Stamps weren't there as the cost for their size stand would have been £4,500. Little Calire weren't there and Jayne at Stamposaurus said they probably won't do it again. Some of the stands were smaller than usual no doubt due to cost. The cloakroom charge is £1 per item so by the time we both left coats and three bags as they were too heavy to carry all day, we spent £5 there.

Hubby drove us there on Wednesday and we had a lovely overnight stay and enjoyed a nice meal but the weather was horrid when we left on Thursday and he had to drive home. The traffic around Birmingham is horrendous all the time. Luckily the sat nav took us round the back roads to get onto the motorway so we didn't get stuck in traffic. Yesterday we were both feeling tired but much better today. I have had a lovely time today playing with some of my new goodies.

So would I go again, probably not. I often go to Ally Pally in April and NEC in November but I think I will go to both Ally Pally shows instead and maybe Summer Crafting. They are much nearer venues, though still involve an overnight stop which we enjoy and means hubby doesn't have to drive both way in one day. They are also much cheaper. As a comparison Ally Pally tickets are £5, parking and cloakroom are free and refreshments much cheaper.

Check out Monday's post for a card made with some new stamps.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fabulous lot of goodies you have Marianne. Well jealous. Sad to see that the organisers are spoiling it for everybody - I used to love that show. However, with the ticket price, coat charges and the train fare I don't think I will be rushing back either. I may go to a different show in the future I think but we will see. Glad you are now fully recovered.
xxxxx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

You have bought a big treasure, Marianne! :D Enjoy your goodies!

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Glad to hear that you and Lynsey had a great time, you have some lovely items there, plenty to keep you busy in the coming months. As you may have seen I posted similar comments to you about the show - it definitely lacked the choice of stands and stock that have been there in past years which was a shame. However I managed to get most of what I planned and so am very pleased, plus we make it a trip away too, which doesn't happen that often and makes it special for us.
Lorraine

Linda Simpson said...

Lots of lovely crafty goodies and look forward to seeing your card tomorrow. I have to agree with everything you have said about your experience at the NEC too! I have been today and the charges are just ridiculously high. I too will be rethinking about going again next year!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Sue Nicholson said...

Great stash of goodies. Agree all these Venues are getting extremely expensive, GNPE put their price up this year also, sorry but gets very expensive day. Cheaper buying direct on line these days. Cheers X

Chrissy said...

WOW...lots of yummy goodies Marianne..I wish we had shows to go to here in NZ..well, we do have one..but it is quilts and crafts and have no one to go with and it is miles away [need an overnight stay for it]..have loads of fun with all your stash..

luv CHRISSYxx

kingsharon1967 said...

I go every year but by coach from Wiltshire as we don't have the shows that are in the north of the country. I enjoy the experience with my friend and treat it as a day out and take our own lunch as everwhere is expensive these days. Really looking forward to going tomorrow. You managed to buy lots of goodies. Hope you left some for me lol xx

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, looks like you spent a fortune! So jealous! Enjoy your new goodies!

Whisper said...

Oooo am so loving with what you bought and i look forward to seeing what you do with them - i went to the NEC once with a group of friends and we made a weekend of it, to be honest we stoped off at a supermarket before hand to buy lunch and a couple of drinks, so a) it would be cheaper and b) so we wouldn't have to queue - i'm hoping to go to Ally Pally in April and finally meet up with you, although it's not the easiet place for me to get to by train, Luv Sam x

cuilliesocks said...

Brilliant haul of new stash Marianne and I just know you will soon be making wonderful creations with it.
interesting comments about the fair, I'm shocked at the price of a stand, would never have believed that.
Now I've been a couple of times, flying down from Edinburgh and because of the weight limitations, I didn't need to use the cloakroom, but I did fin the food and drink expensive. For me it was the experience of it all as we really don't have big craft fairs here and of course meeting Blogging Friends, but Disappointed to hear that LC were not there, I always visit there to say hello to Steve, I always have long phone chats with him when I order from them, so it's nice to see him at the stand. Just about most things nowadays is a rip off, Kate x

Carol S. said...

A great spend up on some lovely stash!! I can't believe the cost to get in!!!! That is more than my return train travel to London to Ally Pally. I would much rather go to Ally Pally and have more money to spend on stash and not putting into the organixers pockets. As you say it is pure greed. Have fun playing with your goodies and look forward to seeing your makes! Hugs, Carol S.xx

Lynsey said...

Hi Marianne, we did have a lovely day and got lots of nice stash, but I do agree time to call it day on the NEC! Look forward to seeing your card tomorrow with your new stash!
Hugs Lynsey x

Doreen said...

Fabulous stash Marianne...Enjoy....I to agree with everything you say it is far to expensive to go there now.xxx

Deborah said...

Oh love all your goodies. I've just returned tonight from attending the show and I have to say I agree with your comments. As you know I attended Ally Pally for the first time this year and did like it. However to make it viable for me to attend it needs to take place during the school holidays so we can have a few days in the area as its quite a distance for me to travel. Fingers crossed the dates work out for next April!

By Neymes said...

Ganhar presentes de nós mesma,tudo de bom.Bom domingo.Valéria.

Karen Oliver said...

Great stash you got there Marianne. I have to say that I haven't been to the stamp and craft show that happens annually here for a couple of years for pretty similar reasons to what you outline. Its a shame because it was always a nice day out.

Jackie said...

Tweo gorgeous card Marianne, and OMG what a lot of new goodies to play with.
I only ever went to the NEC once and spent a fortune but I would never go again. In fact I can't go to any nowadays as it is too painful and I can't cope with all the jostling now! :o)
Jackie xx

Stamps and Paper said...

Wow Marianne thats some haul...I shall look forward to seeing what you make using your new goodies...
I think a lot of these places are getting greedy with the costs of stands which is such a shame as it only turns people away...

Anne

julie_woolston said...

What a fabulous collection of goodies Marianne looking forward to seeing what you make with them.
Hugs Julie xxx

misteejay said...

Looks like you came home with a fabulous collection of goodies.

I haven't been to the NEC for a good many years as I hate the traffic problems around the area.

Enjoy playing with all your new goodies.
Toni xx

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Fabulous stash Marianne and glad you had a nice time with Lynsey and i know what you mean about what you say i was disappointed on the last show i went to half of the stands i was hoping to be there where not there and there wasn't a lot of choice to be honest will be picking now where i go in the future
Dianne xx :)

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Wow! I'm drooling Marianne. Some utterly delish stash there hun. Glad you had fun. Hugs, Wends x

Fikreta said...

wonderful new goodies!

mags said...

A lovely haul of new stash Marianne. Can't wait to see what you create with it.
Mags
x

Kat W said...

Looks like a good lot of stash! I don't feel so bad about how much I spent now - lol!
I agree it's a very expensive show and can be very busy so I am looking at alternatives too.
Have fun with all your new goodies :-)
Big hugs, Kat xx